Geez, it takes me a quite a while to get through my goals. March 2006, I said I would:
- Go bowling more often (weekly basis?) because it's fun and is a good chance for me to just let loose and become the Master Bowler I've always wanted to be (just kidding, but it's fun and will help me with my consistency). The only bowling I've done is on the Wii.
- Volunteer at the food bank. I've been doing that every Saturday, and it's been great. I hope I continue going cuz it's an environment where I don't feel like a minion for working my ass off, and I like helping the community. Still going...yes!!!! =) Maybe not every Saturday, but I try.
- I want to go back to school. The idea is to go part-time so my company can pay for my Masters degree in lab science, cell bio, etc...whatever it may be. But I've also considered quitting work entirely so I can really just be focusing on my education and not worry about my role as a minion. It'll probably end up being part-time student, full-time worker anyway. Then after that I'll explore options for obtaining a business degree. I keep changing my mind. I should just join the circus and train elephants. But lately I have been considering that MBA. I got a book from Amazon on "How to Start a Home-Based Event Planning Business," so let's see where that takes me. Anyone have an MBA and can offer advice?
- Although I list this last, it is one of the more important things I'd like to do. I really want to take martial arts training, and I'm becoming more and more obsessed with it. I also really want to choose a form that is right for me. I want to feel confident about my movements and feel safe in any environment. But most of all, I want to learn discipline, patience, self-worth, confidence, precision, and spirituality. It's almost like what filmmakers try to depict in movies. Imagine closing your eyes and feeling power and energy coursing through your mind and body. Every thought and movement is second nature and fluidlike. That's what I want to feel. I've considered dance and yoga, but I don't think I can get as much out of those two as I can out of martial arts. There's also a martial arts place right around the block. Maybe that's a sign :). All I've done so far is walk by the martial arts place on the way to vote at the primary election. Argh!
Now I've added a couple new items to my list:
- Learn to swim. I've taken some steps to learn. Contacted lots of places to inquire about classes. Also, I got some practice while snorkeling in the Yucatan. I was at Xcaret water park and did a lot of snorkeling through their underground rivers. They supplied life vests. However, when I went to the lagoon portion of the park, they'd only rent the life vests out to little kiddies. Holy moly, some of these kids are bigger than I am. I stalked away from the counter huffing and puffing. Eventually, I got fed up with standing at the water's edge watching everyone snorkel and play with the fishies. So I jumped in with a big splash (actually, I slipped off the steps and into the water) and stood up. It really wasn't that deep in some parts. Dong was nice enough to hold my hand while we snorkeled along the shallow areas. At that moment, a beam of light must've descended from the sky and declared me a swimming fish. I realized that swimming around without the vest was the same as swimming with it. I swam out pretty far until I got tangled up in the stupid snuba lines and had a panic attack. Eventually I got pretty comfortable again until I almost swam into a boat headed my way. I still haven't mastered the art of sticking my head up out of the water and surveying the area. I'll need to learn to do that especially when I don't have my snorkel and need to breathe. There's still lots to learn, and I do appreciate the extra help from an instructor. I'm actually quite excited, as this would be the only exercise I would allow myself (I hate gyms).
- Learn how to ballroom dance. Ideally, I'd like to learn before my friend's wedding in June and just blow everyone away. (Either that or perform Michael Jackson's "Thriller"...one of my insane obsessions) But I think it's gonna be impossible with the way my schedule has been. Oh well.